The popularity of gambling, especially Pay and Play casino, is on the rise now. However, people started enjoying gambling games many years ago. Their roots go back to ancient times, but in fact, they used to look different than they do now. It is always interesting to find out more about our predecessors’ lifestyles, hobbies, and the way they formed and influenced our world.
The playing process did not mean only the way to earn money or have fun, because ancient people put a special meaning into them.
Most common ancient gambling games
The history of gambling is full of mysteries and unresolved riddles. However, most people claim that the idea of gambling games appeared many years ago. Today we can immerse ourselves in the past thanks to the archaeologists that find special things that were used in gambling.
- Dice games. The most popular game all over the world was the dice game. The age of the oldest dice is about 4 thousand years. In ancient times, people believed that the gods defined the outcome of the game. People used to play this game to solve their household problems for example they divided the land plots, decided who will receive the inheritance and even the throne, predicted how fertile the soil will be in the coming year, and whether the military campaign against the neighboring kingdom will be successful.
- Playing cards. Another popular ancient gambling games were cards. Most scientists believe that they were invented by Chinese. In that time it was not just random cards, because every color of the suit had its own meaning and idea. As a rule they were meticulously decorated and painted, so not everyone could afford to buy it. In the Middle Age people used to play for money and considered this type of game to be the way to prove their right, show intelligence and develop special skills.
- Domino. The history of the domino begins in the Middle Ages in India and China. It is believed that its prototype was a game of dice. The details of dominoes are rectangular tiles, divided in half by a line into two squares, on which dots are drawn, indicating points from 0 to 6. The standard set of this game includes 28 elements.
- Chess. The prototype of chess, which appeared approximately in 600 AD, was the Indian game of Chaturanga. From then on, chess gradually spread throughout Asia and Europe, and by the beginning of the 16th century, it had become the game we know today.
- Game of cubes. The cube was the most popular gaming item in ancient times. The rules of the game were as simple as possible. First, the cube was tossed, then the number of points on the faces was counted, and the winner was determined by the highest score. Initially, the cubes were tossed by hand, after which small cups were used to mix them. The material for these ancient playing elements were bones, minerals, and noble metals (usually gold).
Our ancestors played gambling games all the time. Almost every culture of ancient civilizations tells us about this experience. The feeling of excitement is inherent in every person at the genetic level. Ancient knew what adrenaline was, and gambling originated in ancient times. Everything has changed drastically since that time, because the development of gambling goes hand in hand with the development of society. All in all, it is a huge time span, but gambling games remain the most popular leisure time activity. They help us make our days less dull and spice up our life in general.